After finishing MA (1998) and PhD studies (2004) at the Institute for Egyptology, University of Vienna, several Post-Doc positions financed by the Austrian Science Fund, the Austrian National Bank and the European Commission followed (2004–2009). The last two year position was a Marie Curie Fellowship at the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge (UK). 2010–2014 Principal investigor of the project Foreigners in Ancient Egypt – The Archaeology of Culture Contact (FWF, V147-G21) and Assistant Professor (fixed term substitution) at the Institute for Egyptology, University of Vienna (academic year 2012/2013). Since 2015 Principal investigator of the START-project Beyond Politics: Material Culture of Second Intermediate Period Egypt and Nubia (FWF, Y754-G19) and head of research group Material culture in Egypt and Nubia. Over 20 years experience in archaeological excavations in Egypt in collaboration with the Austrian Archaeological Institute (Tell el-Daba), the Egypt Exploration Society (Memphis), the Metropolitan Museum New York (Dahshur), the Archaeological Museum Madrid (Herakleopolis Magna), the Catholic University of Leuven (Deir el-Bersha) and the University of Alabama (Lisht).
- Funerary and settlement archaeology in Ancient Egypt and the Levant
- The First Intermediate Period to New Kingdom (ca. 2176 – 1450BC) in general
- Material culture studies
- Interpretation of distribution patterns of material culture
- Studies in culture contacts and interaction of ancient cultures, in particular Egypt and the Levant
- Transfer of knowledge
- Archaeology of identity
- Evaluation and interpretation of archaeological data derived from ceramics
- Contextual studies
- Re-evaluation of old excavation records and archaeological material
- Tell el-Dabca XXIV. The Late Middle Kingdom Settlement of Area A/II. A Holistic Study of Non-élite Inhabitants of Tell el-Dabca - Vol. 1. The Archaeological Report, the Excavations from 1966 to 1969, Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- Preliminary Report on the Pottery from the Mortuary Temple of Thutmosis III (2012), in M. Seco-Alvarez et alii., Fourth and fifth excavation seasons of the Egyptian-Spanish project at the mortuary temple of Thtumosis III at the West bank of Luxor (2011 and 2012), ASAE 87.
- On Simple House Architecture at Tell el-Dabca and its Parallels in the late Middle Kingdom, Egypt and the Levant 28 (2018), 107–142.
- (with J. Sigl, M. Fielauf, C. Jeuthe, E. Laskowska-Kusztal, P. Kopp, C. Malleson, M.-K. Schröder, C. von Pilgrim) Report on the Excavations at Elephantine by the German Archaeological Institute and the Swiss Institute from autumn 2017 to summer 2018 (Online Downloads).
- Review: J. Engemann, Abū Mīnā. Die Keramikfunde von 1965 bis 1998. 2016. Orientalistische Literaturzeitung, 112/4-5 (2017), 312–315. doi:10.1515/olzg-2017-0097.
- Zwischen Text, Bild und Archäologie – Eine Problemdarstellung zur Konzeptualisierung von Kulturkontakten, in: S. Beck, B. Backes, A. Verbovsek (ed.), Kontakt – Konflikt – Konzeptualisierung, Beiträge des sechsten Berliner Arbeitskreises Junge Aegyptologie (BAJA 6) 13.–15.11.2015, GOF IV.63, Wiesbaden 2017, 13–34.
- Children of other gods: Social Interactions, in: P. P. Creasman, R. H. Wilkinson (eds.), Pharaoh’s Land and Beyond: Ancient Egypt and Its Neighbors, Oxford University Press, New York and London 2017, 61–77.
- Ancient Egyptian Pottery, in: I.M.E. Shaw, E.R. Bloxam (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Egyptology, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2017, DOI:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199271870.013.1
- (with M. Seco-Alvarez, J. Martinez Babon) A Foundation Deposit in the Temple of Millions of Years of Thutmose III in Luxor, Memnonia 25 (2014) 157–168, appeared in 2015 with a correction in Memnonia 26 (2015), p. 135, appeared 2017.
- (with M. Seco) Results of Five Years of Pottery Analysis in the Temple of Millions of Years of Thutmosis III in Western Thebes (2011–2015), Ägypten und Levante, 26, 157–262.
- A Disc-shaped Ornament as seen on Funerary Masks of the early Middle Kingdom, in: D. Arnold, A. Oppenheim, O. Goelet (eds.), Festschrift for Dorothea Arnold, Bulletin of the Egyptological Seminar 19, 117–130.
- (with M. Bietak) Canon and Freedom of Fringe Art: À propos the Fish Bowls in the Second Intermediate Period, in: D. Arnold, A. Oppenheim, O. Goelet (eds.), Festschrift for Dorothea Arnold, Bulletin of the Egyptological Seminar 19, 157–178.
- (with M. Seco-Alvarez, A. Radwan, I. Noureddine, A. Guio, E. Wilson, J. Martinez Babon, A. Gamarra Campuzano, M.A. Moreno Cifuentes, E. Mora Ruedas) Second and Third Campaigns of the Egyptian-Spanish Project at the Mortuary Temple of Thutmosis III at the West Bank of Luxor (2009 and 2010), Annales du Service des antiquités de l’Egypte 86 (2012/13), 329–395.
- Quantification as a Means of Functional Analysis: Settlement Pottery of the Late Middle Kingdom at Tell el-Dabca, in: B. Bader, C. M. Knoblauch, E. C. Köhler, Vienna 2 – Ancient Egyptian Ceramics in the 21st Century, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 245, Leuven – Paris – Bristol, CT, 47–67.
- (with C. M. Knoblauch, E. C. Köhler) Introduction, in: B. Bader, C. M. Knoblauch, E. C. Köhler (eds.), Vienna 2 – Ancient Egyptian Ceramics in the 21st Century, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 245, Leuven – Paris – Bristol, CT, IX–XIII.
- Chapter 13 “Fish Dishes in Memphis – Overview and Analysis” in: J. Bourriau, C. Gallorini, Kom Rabia. The Middle Kingdom and Second Intermediate Period Pottery (part of excavation report of the Egypt Exploration Society), London 2016, 221–238.
- A Late Middle Kingdom Settlement at Tell el Dab'a and its Potential, in: P. Kousoulis, N. Lazaridis (eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth Interantional Congress of Egyptologists. University of the Aegean, Rhodes. 22–29 May 2008, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 241, Leuven 2015, 45–63.
- Stone objects from the late Middle Kingdom settlement at Tell el-Daba, in: W. Grajetzki, G. Miniaci (eds.), The World of Middle Kingdom Egypt (2000–1500 BC), Contribution on Archaeology, Art, Religion and Written Sources, Golden House Publications, London 2015, 25–41.
- Overview of Pottery Occurring in the Mortuary Temple of Thutmosis III, in: M. Seco-Ávarez, A. Jódar Miñarro (eds.), Los Templos de Millones de Años en Tebas/The Temples of Millions of Years in Thebes, Universidad de Granada en colaboración con el Ministerio de Estado para Antigüedades (Egipto) y Real Academia de Bellas Artes Santa Isabel de Hungría de Sevilla, Granada 2015, 293–309.
- Egypt and the Bronze Age Mediterranean: An Archaeological Evidence, Oxford Handbooks online, ed. by Chr. Riggs. DOI:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935413.013.35
- (with M. Ownby) Ceramic Bibliography 2010–2014, Journal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections 6, 3, 1–2.
- (with M. F. Ownby) Pottery Project Guest Blog: The Enigmatic Fish Dishes of the Petrie Museum, 21st March 2014.
- Review: D. A. Warburton, Architecture, Power and Religion, Hatshepsut, Amun and Karnak in Context, Vienna and Münster, 2012. Cambridge Archaeology Journal 24/1 (2014), 187–189.
- Cultural Mixing in Egyptian Archaeology: The ‘Hyksos’ as a Case Study, Archaeological Review from Cambridge Issue 28.1 (2013): Archaeology and Cultural Mixing, 257–286.
- Introduction, in: B. Bader, M.F. Ownby (eds.), Functional Aspects of Egyptian Ceramics within their Archaeological Context, Proceedings of a Conference held at the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, July 24th to July 25th, 2009, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 217, Leuven – Paris – Walpole, MA 2013, 1–27.
- Sedment, in: A. Seiler, R. Schiestl (eds.), Handbook of Pottery of the Egyptian Middle Kingdom, vol. 2 Regional Volume, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 2012, 209–235.
- Herakleopolis Magna – Ehnasya el-Medina, Autumn 2006, Bulletin de Liaison du Groupe International d’étude de la céramique Égyptienne 23 (2012), 101–112.
- Herakleopolis Magna – Ehnasiya el-Medina, Autumn 2003, Bulletin de Liaison du Groupe International d’étude de la céramique Égyptienne 23 (2012), 113–124.
- Migration in Archaeology: An Overview with a Focus on Ancient Egypt, in: M. Messer, R. Schroeder, R. Wodak (eds.), Migrations: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Springer, Vienna 2012, 213–226. DOI:10.1007/978-3-7091-0950-2_19
- A Preliminary Report on Pottery found at Herakleopolis Magna (Ehnasya el-Medina), Cahiers de la Céramique Égyptienne 9 (2011), 37–69.
- Vessels in Ceramics and Stone: The Problem of the Chicken and the Egg? in: D. Aston, B. Bader, C. Gallorini, P. Nicholson, S. Buckingham (eds.), Under the Potter’s Tree, Studies on Ancient Egypt Presented to Janine Bourriau on the Occasion of her 70th Birthday Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 204, Leuven – Paris – Walpole, MA 2011, 125–171.
- Contacts between Egypt and Syria-Palestine as seen in a Grown Settlement of the late Middle Kingdom at Tell el-Dabca/Egypt, in: J. Mynářová (ed.), Egypt and the Near East – The Crossroads, Proceedings of the International Workshop on the Relations between Egypt and the Near East in the Bronze Age September 1–3, 2010, Charles University in Prague, Czech Institute of Egyptology, Faculty of Arts, Prague 2011, 41–72.
- Traces of Foreign Settlers in the Archaeological Record of Tell el-Dabca/Egypt, in: K. Duistermaat, I. Regulski (Hrg.), Intercultural Contacts in the Ancient Mediterranean, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 202, Leuven 2011, 127–148.
- With C. Jurman, D. Aston (eds), A True Scribe of Abydos. Essays on First Millennium Egypt in Honour of Anthony Leahy, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 265, Leuven, Paris, Bristol, CT.
- With C. M. Knoblauch und E. C. Köhler, Vienna 2 – Ancient Egyptian Ceramics in the 21st Century, Proceedings of the International Conference held at the University of Vienna 14th–18th of May 2012, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 245, Leuven – Paris – Bristol, CT.
- With M.F. Ownby (eds.), Functional Aspects of Egyptian Ceramics within their Archaeological Context, Proceedings of a Conference held at the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, July 24th to July 25th 2009, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 217, Leuven – Paris – Walpole, MA.
- With D.A. Aston, C. Gallorini, P. Nicholson, S. Buckingham (eds.), Under the Potter’s Tree, Studies on Ancient Egypt Presented to Janine Bourriau on the Occasion of her 70thBirthday, Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 204, Leuven – Paris – Walpole, MA.
Assistant Professor (fixed term substitution) at the Institute for Egyptology, University of Vienna
PhD. in Egyptology at the University of Vienna (summa cum laude/ausgezeichneter Erfolg)
M.A. (with distinction) in Egyptology, University of Vienna
- Since 2015
Principal Investigator of the START Project Beyond Politics: Material Culture of Second Intermediate Period Egypt and Nubia (Y754-G19)
Principal Investigator of the Project Foreigners in Ancient Egypt – The Archaeology of Culture Contact (V147-G21)
Scientific collaborator of the „Salvage Field School Project“ in the Luxor-Temple conducted by „Ancient Egypt Research Associates (AERA)“ in co-operation with the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA)
Research Fellow of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge
Researcher at the University of Cambridge, McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research as Intra European Marie Curie Fellow with the Project A Bridge to Canaan
Researcher at the University of Vienna with the Austrian National Bank Project: Tell el-Dabca/Avaris (Egypt) and its Environment in the late Middle Kingdom (ca. 1800–1700 BC) Economy – Immigration – Acculturation
Researcher in the Special Research Programme: Synchronisation of Civilisations in the Eastern Mediterranean in the Second Millennium B.C., SCIEM 2000, Vienna
Researcher in the framework of the Special Research Programme: Synchronisation of Civilisations in the Eastern Mediterranean in the Second Millennium B.C., SCIEM 2000, Vienna
Researcher in Project P 13627 – SPR of the Austrian Science Fund
- Since 2015
- Since 2012
International Association of Egyptologists
- 2012, 2017
American School of Oriental Research
British Association for Near Eastern Archaeology
- Since 2010
Egypt and Austria
Affiliated to Darwin College, Cambridge
Senior Research Associate in Darwin College, Cambridge
Academic Awards, Fellowships
START-Project awarded by the Austrian Science Fund for Beyond Politics: Material Culture in Second Intermediate Period Egypt and Nubia
Positive evaluation of project V147-G21 granting continuation
Grant awarded for Conference Functional Aspects of Egyptian Ceramics within their Archaeological Context from the D.M. McDonald Grants & Awards Fund Grant awarded from the Thomas Mulvey Fund for the same Conference
Fellowship for participation in the Workshop Egyptian Pottery from the Old Kingdom, Chronological and Socioeconomic Aspects, 20th – 21st August 2007, Warsaw, Poland, awarded by the Austrian Science Association.
- July – September 2006
Visiting Fellowship awarded by the British Academy at Cambridge (McDonald Institute of Archaeological Research) with the project The transition of the First Intermediate Period to the early Middle Kingdom in Egypt (ca. 2176–1991 B.C.) as seen in the Cemeteries of Sedment
Fellowship for participation at the 5th International Congress of the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East in Madrid 2006 by the Austrian Science Association
Research Fellowship of the Federal Ministry for Education, Science and Art towards the enhancement of scientific scholarship in archaeology with the project Avaris and Memphis, Two Capitals in view of ceramic finds
Award of the County of Lower Austria
- National Geographic
- Oxford University Press
- Studies in Ancient Art and Civilization, Institute of Archaeology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, PL
- Member of advisory board of the series Middle Kingdom Studies, edited by G. Miniaci and W. Grajetzki
- Reviewer for Journal of Material Culture
- Member of the scientific comité de lecture of the Journal Cahiers de la Céramique Égyptienne, and of Bulletin de Liaison du Groupe International d’étude de la céramique Égyptienne (Institute Francais d’archeologie orientale du Cairo)
- GAČR – Czech Science Foundation (Tschechische Republik)
Papers of the last years
- From Knobbly Bits to complete Vessels – information contained in finds made of clay, Workshop: Excavating the Extra-ordinary, Institute of Egyptology University of Mainz. (8.–9.4.2019)
- Current research on Material Culture in the Second Intermediate Period, Lectures in Egyptology, Institute for Area Studies, Leiden University. (22.2.2018)
- Foreigners in ancient Egypt – The archaeology of migration, Seminar: The Role of Genetic Geology and Archeology in Migration Research, Pufendorf Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Lund. (19.2.2018)
- Technological and morphological differences in pottery production in Egypt in the Second Intermediate Period (1700–1550 BC): signs of changing regional connectivity? Session: Connectivities in the Near East: Social Impact of shifting networks, Session Organiser: Prof. Dr. B. Horejs, Annual Meeting, ASOR 2017 (Boston/USA). (16.11.2017)
- Pottery development at Ehnasya el-Medina and Sedment, Is there a parallel development in the First and the Second Intermediate Period?, Beyond Memphis: The Transition from the Late Old Kingdom to the First Intermediate Period as Reflected in Provincial Cemeteries, University of Würzburg/KU Leuven/Netherlands-Flemish Institute in Cairo. (31.08.–03.09.2017)
- Pottery workshops in Middle Kingdom Art. Are they reliable sources for the study of manufacturing pottery? Meketre Study day, Arte-facts and Artefacts, Visualising the Material World in Middle Kingdom Egypt, Institute for Egyptology, University of Vienna, Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien. (30.06.2017)
- Second Intermediate Period Assemblages: The Building Blocks of Local Relative Sequences of Material Culture, presenting: Northern Upper Egypt cemeteries of Abusir el-Meleq, Sedment, Ehnasay el-Medina, Institute for Oriental and European Archaeology, (Vienna/AUSTRIA). (23.06.2017)
- “Imitated” Pottery Vessels in Egypt. A Feature as Part of a larger Phenomenon, Workshop “Imitations égyptiennes des conteneurs de tradition levantine, chypriote et égéenne du IVe au Ier mill conteneurs” Institut Francais d’archeologie orientale, Cairo. (12.12.2016)
- The Pottery of Heracléopolis Magna 2003–2016, Symposium Proyecto Heracléopolis Magna. 50 años de excavaciones 1966–2016, Madrid (27.09.2016) read in absence.
- Regional Differences in Pottery Repertoires: Two Case Studies, Workshop “Palace culture and its echoes in the provinces in the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, University of Jaen, Spain (2nd–3rd June 2016).
- The Late Middle Kingdom Settlement at Tell el-Daba in Area A/II, 10th International Conference for the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, ÖAW (Vienna, 25.–29. April 2016).
- (with Chr. Knoblauch) The Material Culture of the Second Intermediate Period in Egypt and Nubia: Case Study Abydos, 10th International Conference for the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, ÖAW (Vienna, 25.–29. April 2016).
- Beginning regionalization of material culture in the late Middle Kingdom and the Second Intermediate Period, invited lecture, 2016 Scholars’ Workshop at the Metropolitan Museum for the exhibition Ancient Egypt Transformed: The Middle Kingdom (22nd–23rd January 2016)
- Kulturkontakt – Zwischen Text, Bild und Archäologie, eine Problembehandlung, keynote lecture at ‚Berliner Arbeitskreis Junge Aegyptologie 6‘, Humboldt University Berlin (Berlin, 13th–15th November 2015)
- A late Middle Kingdom settlement with irregular lay-out at Tell el-Daba, 11th International Congress of Egyptologists, Egyptian Museum Florence (Florence, 23rd–30th August 2015)
- Imitated pottery vessels in Egypt: An approach towards identification and classification of a phenomenon, European Association of Archaeologists, 20th Annual Meeting, Session: Pottery as Experiment (T03S014), ITU Istanbul (Istanbul, 10th–14th September)
- Towards a mixed culture at Avaris, 9th International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, Session Egypt and Ancient Near East – Perceptions of Alterity, University of Basle (Basle, 9th–13th June)
- Ritual oder Müll – Kontexuelle Unterschiede in Materialdeponierungen, Werkstattgespräche zum Interpretationsspektrum archäologischer Deponierungen: Abfallhaufen oder kultische Ablagerungen? Institute for Oriental and European Archaeology, Austrian Academy of Sciences (Vienna, 5th–6th June)
- Die materielle Kultur einer Siedlung der XIII. Dynastie in Tell el-Daba (Ägypten), Forschungsschwerpunkt Materielle Kultur/material culture, Interdisciplinary workshop, (Institute for Egyptology, University of Vienna 4th–5th July)
- Forschungsfest: Herakleopolis Magna: Nekropole und Tempel, Institute for Egyptology, (University of Vienna, 5th June)
- Immigrants at Tell el-Dab’a/Egypt in the late Middle Kingdom, Annual Meeting American Schools of Oriental Research, Session A82 Immigration in Archaeology (Chicago, 14th–17thNovember)
- Settlement pottery of the late Middle Kingdom at Tell el-Daba. Quantification as a means of functional analysis, Vienna II: Ancient Egyptian Ceramics in the 21st Century (Vienna, 14th–18th May).
- Identity visible in material remains in an ancient Egyptian settlement of the late Middle Kingdom at Tell el-Dab’a, 16th Symposion on Mediterranean Archaeology, Identity & Connectivity (Florence, 1st–3rd March)
Organistation of Conferences & Workshops
- Second Intermediate Period Assemblages: The Building Blocks of Local Relative Sequences of Material Culture (Vienna June 22-23). Round table discussion, with 16 participants at OREA (co-organised with C. Knoblauch, L. Hulková).
Member of the organising committee of the international Conference Vienna II: Ancient Egyptian Ceramics in the 21st Century, Institute for Egyptology, Vienna, 14th–19th May
Functional Aspects of Egyptian Ceramics within Their Archaeological Contexts, at the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, Cambridge 24th–25th July
Co-Organiser of the Mulvey Egyptology Seminar Series in the University of Cambridge
- Summer term 2016
Thebes as cult centre (Bachelor seminar)
- Summer term 2013
Einführung in die Ägyptische Kunst II; (VO)
Der König in der ägyptischen Kunst; (VO)
Spezialthema Die Zweite Zwischenzeit (VO)
Die Rolle der Frau im Alten Ägypten (won in the competition by the Department for gender studies, University of Vienna, (PS)
- Winter term 2012/13
Einführung in die ägyptische Kunst I; (VO)
Theben – Topographie eines Kultzentrums; (PS)
- Michaelmas 2010 Teaching of postgraduate students in the Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge on following topcis:
Burial Goods in Egypt: Overview over the major historic periods;
The Second Intermediate Period in Egypt;
Practicals in Archaeology: Pottery of the Pre-Dynastic Period to the Middle Kingdom: General Concepts and Uses of Studying Pottery and How to Use and Interpret Data;
Conquering and Conquered Egypt: Foreign Relations of Egypt during the New Kingdom;
Syncretism, Solar religion and Sun Temples in the New Kingdom;Practicals in Archaeology: Pottery of the New Kingdom