PhD candidate at the Department for Social and Cultural Anthropology at the University of Vienna. Junior Fellow at Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften, Kunstuniversität Linz in Wien, Vienna, Austria. Since 2016 she has been researching the social organization in the Early Bronze Age Aegean through interdisciplinary perspectives, by testing historical anthropological insights against prehistoric archaeological data. She has completed CREOLE (Cultural Differences and Transnational Processes) MA degree at the University of Vienna (2012–2015), Department for Social and Cultural Anthropology, and a BA in Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology at the University of Ljubljana (2009–2012). As part of her PhD research, Sabina has been working alongside prehistoric archaeologists within an interdisciplinary DOC-team research project “Households at the Dawn of the Bronze Age – Contextualizing Local Social Organization in the Eastern Mediterranean from Anthropological Perspectives”, funded by the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Sabina has gained experiences as an archaeological anthropologist, having worked alongside prehistoric archaeologists in the field (Greece, Turkey), within the OREA Prehistoric Phenomena research group, and abroad. In 2019, she was a visiting researcher at The International Max Planck Research School for the Anthropology, Archaeology, and History of Eurasia at the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology in Halle/Saale.
- historical anthropology of non-state societies
- prehistoric archaeology in Early Bronze Age Anatolia and Aegean
- households and social organization
- socio-political and kinship systems of non-state societies
- exchange networks and subsistence
- Çukuriçi Höyük 4: Household economics in the Early Bronze Age Aegean (submitted to OREA book series)
- Throwing their weights around? Anthropological perspectives on commodity and gift exchange at the dawn of the Early Bronze Age in Western Anatolia, Egypt and the Levant (submitted)
- Review of Antweiler, C. Our common denominator: human universals revisited’ New York: Berghahn Books. Journal of Social Anthropology 26(2): 269–270.
MA CREOLE: Cultural Differences and Transnational Processes in Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Vienna, Austria
BA in Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Junior Fellow at Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften, Kunstuniversität Linz in Wien, Vienna, Austria
- 09/2016 – 08/2020
PhD researcher at the department for Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Vienna, Austria
- 12/2015 – 03/2016
UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees), Field Associate,Šentilj, Slovenia
Fieldwork Experience & Research Abroad
Research visit to the Bronze Age and Neolithic sites and the associated museums in South-Eastern Anatolia, Turkey
- 02/2019 – 07/2019
Research stay at the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology, Halle/Saale, Germany (member of a research group: Realising Eurasia, led by a socio-cultural anthropologist Prof. Chris Hann and a colloquium led by prehistoric archaeologist Prof. Dr. François Bertemes)
- 09/2018 – 11/2018
Fieldwork at the Austrian Archaeological Institute in Selçuk, Turkey, documentation of the archaeological finds (e.g. pottery and animal bones) from Çukuriçi Höyük, research visit to other Early Bronze Age regional sites
Fieldwork at the Diachronic Museum in Larissa, Greece, research visit to Platia Magoula Zarkou and other Early Bronze Age and Neolithic regional sites
- 08/2013 – 02/2014
Ethnographic ieldwork in New Delhi, India, ethnographic and community-based research at the ETASHA – an educational NGO for youth in slum resettlement colonies
Fieldwork in Rameswaram, India, ethnographic fieldwork on the role of music among the participants of the Ayyappa Swamy Puja - 41 day long Hindu purifying ceremony
Grants and Research achievements
Junior Fellow Grant at Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften, Kunstuniversität Linz in Wien, Vienna, Austria
Österreichische Forschungsgemeinschaft (ÖFG), Vienna, Austria (conference travel)
Marietta Blau Grant, Österreichischer Austauschdienst (OeaD), Vienna, Austria (research stay abroad)
Österreichische Forschungsgemeinschaft (ÖFG), Vienna, Austria, (organization of an international workshop)
Conference Travel Grant, University of Vienna, Austria
Summer School, Roots of Europe － language, culture and migrations, (an interdisciplinary summer school in prehistoric archaeology, ancient genetics, linguistics, and socio-cultural anthropology), University of Copenhagen, Denmark (tuition fee)
DOC-team Grant, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria
- 2016, 2017
Lukas Knaffelsche Privatstifftung, Vienna, Austria
Municipality of Slovenska Bistrica, Slovenska Bistrica, Slovenia
Short-term Grant (KWA) University of Vienna, Austria (fieldwork in New Delhi, India)
Public scholarship, development, disability and maintenance fund of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana, Slovenia, (fieldwork in south India)
Erasmus+ for Erasmus Exchange at the Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Negotiation and Interaction in EBA Çukuriçi Höyük: Differing Solutions to Competing ‘Scapes' with the Beginning of Rising Inequality, Joint Presentation with Stephanie Emra, No (E)Scape? Relational Archaeology in the Aegean Bronze Age, Online Lecture Series 22.9.2020–6.10.2020 (22.9.2020)
- Toxic Households: Arsenical Copper Production at the Centre of the House, Royal Anthropological Institute, Anthropology and Geography: Dialogues Past, Present and Future, Online Conference, 14–18.9.2020 (14.9.2020).
- Chairing the Final Discussion on Representing Domination, ANARCHIE (International Max Planck Research School for the Anthropology, Archaeology and History) Autumn School, Halle/Saale, Germany, 13–15.11.2019 (15.11.2019).
- Coppersmiths, Homes, and Economies at the Dawn of the ‘long 3rd Millennium BCE’ in Western Anatolia, Paper presentation at the departmental seminar at the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology, Halle/Saale, Germany (Research Group: Realising Eurasia, led by Prof. Chris Hann) (18.6.2019).
- Room 18 at Çukuriçi Höyük: Metalworking Workshop within a Domestic Setting Paper presentation at the departmental seminar at the Department for Prehistory and Middle Ages and New Age, University of Halle-Wittenberg, Halle/Saale, Germany (Research Group led by Prof. François Bertemes) (10.5.2019).
- The Role of Households at the Dawn of the Bronze Age – Contextualizing Social Organization, Final DOC-team Research Presentation (Graduirtenkonferenz), Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, A Joint DOC-team Presentation (S. Cveček, S. Emra, C. Moser, M. Röcklinger) (22.12.2018).
- Social Dynamics at the Dawn of the Bronze Age: Archaeo-anthropological Insights from Western Anatolia, Joint Presentation with Maria Röcklinger, VANDA: Vienna Anthropology Days, University of Vienna, Austria, 19–21.8.2018 (19.9.2018).
- Eastern Mediterranean Households in the Early Bronze Age, Roots of Europe Summer School, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark, 24.7–6.8. 2017 (2.8.2017).
- Two EBA Trade Models between Anatolia and Aegean in late Early and Middle Bronze Age: Some Analyses of Finds through Cross-Cultural Comparison, Graduate Archaeology at Oxford Conference, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 10–11.3.2017 (11.3.2017).
- Households at the Dawn of the Bronze Age: Anthropological Contextualization od Local Social Organization in Aegean Basin, Research Project Presentation, Department for Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Vienna (5.10.2016).
Organisation of Workshops and Panels
- International Workshop (jointly organised with Maria Röcklinger, Stephanie Emra, and Constanze Moser): Household Archaeology in Old World Prehistory: An Interdisciplinary Approach, OREA, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 21–22.11.2018
- Panel (jointly organised with Alberto Buela): Theorizing social change: social organization, complexity and inequality, VANDA: Vienna Anthropology Days, University of Vienna, 19–21.8.2018